Monday, April 27, 2015

Avengers 2 Week! Making a Splash: Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver


Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Avengers 2 is coming and Ol' Groove is psyched! beyond words Yers trooly loved the first Avengers flick, and this one has my hopes even higher? Why? Three "new" Avengers--the three heroes who were the "main" Avengers when I started collecting (circa Avengers #75-104), Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Quicksilver, are finally coming to the big screen. Yeah, I know the movie versions of Vizh, Wanda, and Pietro won't be a whole lot like "my" Avengers, but based on how well Joss Whedon and company have handled the Assemblers so far, I have no fear of disappointment. "My" Avengers still exist in my back issues, tpbs, and memories, and the celluloid Avengers can carry on the tradition of blowing my mind! While we (here in the U.S.--the rest of you lucky ones can laugh at our excitement) wait for Friday's big debut (or if you're as lucky as Ol' Groove and family, the sneak peek on Thursday), here are some sensational splashes featuring the Groovy Age versions of our "newest" Avengers to tide you over...
Avengers 66, Art by Barry Smith and Syd Shores









Avengers 181, Art by John Byrne and Gene Day

8 comments:

  1. Love the last two in particular, as those were from my personal favorite run of the Avengers.
    Also, I just love that one from Avengers #92, with Vision lounging around with a white turtleneck pulled over his regular togs. It's so wonderfully silly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Groove dude - Love the postings! I might have broken format and included the cover to Avengers 93 (though I do not recall te splash but I seem to think The Vision is reaching out as if dying)! It really was a "key" issue when published, costing $.25, Adams art, Skrulls, etc. Somewhere I read Thomas? Adams? wanted to entitle it "Three Cows Shot me down?" Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the covers are coming in another post, Charlie!

      Delete
  3. Oh yea, I forgot my self-indulcing trip down memory lane.... The splash to Avengers 89... I remember as a 10 year old thinking "Why would Marvel wear a trench coat over the red? Wouldn't Marvel change his pants and mask, too?" Anyhow, I used to the think the Green Captain Marvel was the coolest Cpt Marvel uniform and perhaps the coolest Marvel Universe uniform of all. Any chance you can indulge us true believers with a panorama of "Marvel" uniforms? Puh-leeeze??? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Little coloring problem on 105 . . . ?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!