Friday, April 11, 2014

Making a Splash: Don Newton's Batman in Detective Comics

What it is, Groove-ophiles! When Detective Comics was saved from the chopping block by making it a Dollar Comic and adding Batman Family to the title, Don Newton became the regular artist of the Batman feature (Newton had filled in on 'Tec #480 following Marshall Rogers' tenure). Newton would stay on the feature well into the 80s. Yeah, he was that good! See for yourself, baby! Here come Don Newton's Batman splashes for Detective Comics issues 483-495 (January 1979-July1980)!








Check out the indicia boo-boo! This is actually ish 491, June, 1980!

The REAL ish 492!





3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I had several of these, and they demonstrate why Newton is one of my favorite Batman artists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newton is one of my favorite comic artists. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Newton on the Phantom and Captain Marvel, but for some reason I was less fond of his Aquaman and Batman. I'm not even sure I can explain why. It just seemed too stiff and awkward, dull and lifeless. His dark, moody art should have been good for Batman, and obviously many people think it was. It really just bothered me--and I was buying these issues brand new off the racks at the time. Give me Aparo, Adams, Rogers, Nasser, Novick, Golden, even John Calnan on Batman, and I was happy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!