Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Black and White Wednesday: "There Will Be Time" by John Byrne

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Today we're diggin' on what would (could? should?) have been Doomsday +1 #7, but instead originally appeared in black and white (split into two parts, yet!) in Charlton Bullseye issues 4 and 5 waaaaaaaay back in 1976! It's cool to see where John Byrne would have taken Kuno and company had the series continued.  It's all-Byrne* sci-fi in living black and white, baby! Dig it!!





















 *Okay, all-Byrne except that splash by Joe Brozowski and Terry Austin. But, hey, since you played so nicely, here's Neal Adams' Byrne-inspired rendition of the Doomsday +1 characters from the back cover of Charlton Bullseye #5!

Who loves ya, baby?

3 comments:

  1. I loved this series & was a Byrne junkie since I first saw & bought his Hot Wheels comic! Who I knew was destined to be part of the legendary Marvel Bullpen even then! Byrne's style to me was always like a animated version of Kirby. Simpler, smoother but equally as awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a pleasure to see Byrne's early, Charlton work. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been browsing the Diversions for a few months now, but this is my first post...

    Wow, is THIS a cool trip down memory lane!
    I remember seeing a few issues of Doomsday Plus 1 back when it was new (and I myself was fairly new, too, enjoying Byrne's work in Charlton's Space: 1999!), and eventually managed to collect the entire (too-short) series in the early 1990's. I also got most of the re-colored reprints (Doomsday Squad) around that time.
    I had no idea that this 'lost issue' existed... thank you SO much for posting, and adding a hint of closure to a series that should not be forgotten. (This would make a cool tv series nowdays, if someone could actually follow the source material faithfully.)
    CR

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!