Thursday, November 7, 2013

Now That's Heavy, Man: "The God of Tarzan" by Thomas, Buscama, and Alcala

Ol' Groove loves Tarzan. I dig all things Edgar Rice Burroughs, and that's a fact. I dig Roy Thomas, John Buscema, and Alfredo Alcala--separately or together--the most, as well. When you get 'em all together--even for a freakin' fill-in ish--you get something special. In Marvel's Tarzan #9 (November 1977), Thomas, Buscema, and Alcala got it all together for an "untold tale of Tarzan" in which the Lord of the Jungle searches for the Lord of Creation. Now that's some heavy stuff, especially when we're talkin' ' bout a dude that spends most of his time swinging from vines and wrestling with jungle critters. And hey, even if the story doesn't  clutch ya, doesn't that art just grab your eyeballs and not let 'em go?
















2 comments:

  1. I remember when I first read Burroughs' Jungle Tales of Tarzan that this was absolutely my favorite story - in fact, it's about the only one I still remember clearly to this day.
    And what can I say about this adaptation, except that like pretty much the entirety of Marvel's Tarzan it's beautiful. I know it's virtually heresy to say so in certain circles, but I always thought Big John did by far the best comic version of Tarzan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of my favs as well. But this "untold tale" has in fact been told by none other than Edgar Rice Burroughs himself in the story of the same name, which appears in the book "Jungle Tales Of Tarzan."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!